Friday 1 January 2016

SNITZ Schnitzels

This should have been posted last week of December but work schedule, holiday rush, and caring for an additional dog (Monzo) sort of ate my time in finishing this entry. But all is well guys. Happy New Year fellow food spotters! And something wrong with my connection, I can't upload the pictures, will upload it later or tomorrow.

Location: 2nd Level Fairview Terraces, QC (Across Max's)
House Specialty: Chicken and Fish Schnitzels

Snitz!

Squid rings and chicken nuggets w fries ensemble.

Chicken Nuggets!

Fish and Chips!

For those who love to eat deep fried food, you will be glad that one of our mall overlords (Oh Hail Ayala) has gifted us with another foodie gem that got its inspiration from a popular food item that originated in Europe. Snitz specialize in schnitzels. If you are not familiar with the name schnitzel, they are meat or any other cutlet coated in batter and then deep fried to crispy perfection. This food establishment mainly serve chicken and fish schintzels although you can also order nachos, sausage and squid rings. Beer food!!! Hehe.
Squid Rings with tomato ketchup sauce.

Chicken Snitzel sandwich.

Chicken schnitzels seem to be the best seller judging from what people are ordering whenever I visit the place. But I come there for the Fish and Chips! When I was a kid I read a lot of foreign magazine/news articles, and one of those that piqued my interest is fish and chips. Now, there were no such thing as internet or foodie hip communities back in those days, so I was left to just imagine what would fish and chips would taste like. Later on I found out that ordering the fish fillet meal from McDonald's is something like what I was hankering for. There's the fish with tartar sauce. And there's the chips... or fries. It just comes in sandwich form!

It took some time for me to see fish and chips to be included in many restaurant's menu. My favorites are the beer battered ones from Chuck's Grub (Why did you closed your store in Trinoma!) and Napoli (Already closed in Fairview). As you see, the restaurants that I go for fish and chips have already closed shop although Chuck's still has one store left at The Fort, Taguig which is very far and so out of the way from where I live and work. So me and Page (future contributor) were very happy (she used to eat fish and chips there for consecutive days when she was not yet vegan)  that Fairview Terraces let Snitz open shop in their sacred church... I mean mall, that is very near to where I live. Snitz alone is a good reason for me to go out there and endure the short but tiresome commute every other week so I can have my dose of fish and chips at a very reasonable price of 98 pesos that includes your typical glass of super-charged-with-sugar iced tea. For those who do not know me, I hate diabetes inducing sweet drinks. As if fastfood restaurants are treating everyone like kids that they have to bundle softdrinks or iced "tea" (which is really watered down flavored syrup/powder) with their meals. I end up just drinking water from the tap or just drinking half of it if I am really thirsty and need something cold.

When you step in to the store, right away you know you are in a good place because the aroma of spices (either garam masala or coriander) permeates the air along with the good ole smell of frying chicken and potatoes. If you are a beer drinker, it is very easy to love this place as the interior reminds you of a cozy beer pub. They do have a liquor license displayed but they do not serve beer hehe. They serve chicken and fish schnitzels with fries, fried calamaris, sausage, mojos, and schintzel sandwich and rice meals.

A boat of fried delicious food.

They serve the food in cute steel wire serving racks shaped like a boat. Service time is reasonable and they will tell you if you if there is a long wait time especially during dining rush hours as they will only start to fry and do their magic only when there is an order. Food is great! The golden brown schnitzels are always hot and crispy perfect with cold beer... if there is one. The fries they serve are sprinkled with cayenne powder and a mix of spices which I cannot discern. Something like a teeny weeny bit of garam masala or coriander. I am not that curious though, I try not to bother myself too much about its spices because I do not have any plans in recreating them at home haha.

Fish and Chips!
The chicken schnitzels are awesome. Crispy chicken fillets served with either rice or fries. They also have chicken schnitzel sandwich which I love. Their fries are the thick homemade cut ones. Fatter and better than McDonalds'. Although the dips (sweet n sour, tartar, and mustard mayo) does not interest me. Then there are the fish schnitzels which is equally awesome. The golden batter does the trick. The batter is the strength of Snitz. I haven't tried nachos and their sausage for the reason that I come there for the fish hehe. Tried squid rings but the last time I ordered it, it was rubbish. No kidding. But the first few times I tried it, they were awesome. The joint blowing hot and cold. I hope they already put their act together as it is already more that a year since they opened shop. Will try out their squid again in the near future and I will update this section.

Only downside that I experienced at this joint was on the first several months after they opened. Food quality was so inconsistent that it was like order at your own risk. We were served soggy french fries bought from the supermarket and wilted squid rings. That was due to the fact that they were experiencing supply issues and the original fry cook was replaced by people who did not know what they were doing. Page dutifuly complained about the food and it looked like they listened. As after a few months of absence, I revisted them and good food is being served again at Snitz!

How I wish they have a stand alone establishment somewhere along a quiet roadside that serve cold beer hehe. Their food is perfect with beer I tell yah. But you will be surprised that a lot of kids and college students patronize the joint.
Close up.

Service: Very Satisfactory. Although I wish they automatically include the table napkins when they serve the food haha. I believe they have already overcome their first-few-months-awful-food-stage haha. Been there for consecutive weeks and food was awesome.

Menu: Like I said, great beer food! They got to have a stand alone establishment where they serve beer. I think they will be a hit somewhere in Cubao, Makati or Timog.

Value: Totally worth it. With taste and quality that can give big fasfood restaurants good competition, you can't argue with a 108 peso chicken sandwich or a 98 peso fish and chips value meal.


What Food Spots say about Snitz:

RECOMMENDED
We urge everyone to try it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment